It does help of course, as always, to know where to go in a city or what to try, so in regard to hitting main and major cities and places in Peru, here is a list of great places and their general price ranges.
- The Republic of Pisco - Near the main Plaza - excellent drinks especially chiclanos and Pisco sours, live music at night, amazing ceviche, causa, and lomo saltado - around 20-25 dollars for a solid meal and drink
- Cucharitas - On Plaza San Francisco - ice cream - melted ice-cream with fresh fruit mashed into it - amazing flavours - 2-5 dollars
- Heladarte - Near the main Plaza - ice cream - some of the best I’ve encountered world wide - 2-5 dollars
- Pantastico - Near Plaza San Blas - bakery - great loaves, muffins, and brownies - good coffee - A great view of Cusco from above - 2-5 dollars
- PanAm - Near main Plaza - bakery - amazing plain croissants, danish bread, and sandwiches - also their Cappuccino are among the best in Peru - good ambiance - nice wall mural - 3-8 dollars
- La Bondiet - Near main Plaza - cafe - good sandwiches, coffee, pastries, cakes, juices - decent atmosphere - best cheese cake in Cusco - 3-8 dollars
- Valariana - Near main Plaza and also another across from the Quoricancha down the Avenida del Sol - cafe - good coffee, baked goods, sandwiches, empanadas - great ambiance and good internet connection - 3-8 dollars
- On a budget - any local place with a set menu of local cuisine is usually pretty good - 2-5 dollars - if you want to be safe - at these places get the Lomo Saltado or Montado
- Chinese food - generally cheap and pretty good - 5-15 dollars - the few upper end ones are quite pricy - meat heavy dishes
- Sangucheria - Plaza San Francisco - great sandwiches and juices - 4-10 dollars - their Sandwich - el Cubano - has a nice tang to it with the mustard and pickles.
- Jack’s Cafe - Cafe - breakfast, lunch, dinner - American portions - Off the main Plaza near the foot of the hill leading up to Plaza San Blas - American fare - amazing pancakes, French toast, sandwiches, breakfasts, burgers - a Cusco staple - 8-20 dollars
- Granja Heidi - Best lunch place ever - Kitty corner to Jack’s Cafe - another local but more hidden Cusco staple - 30 sole lunch including a starter, drink, main, and dessert and really amazing home cooked food - also amazing crepes - this is where I come to gorge in a good way - good ambiance - owner is great!! - 10-20 dollars